Monument Valley Park runs from Bijou to Monroe along Monument
Creek. It forms the western boundary of the Old North End Neighborhood
between Uintah Street and Monroe Street and is now a vital link
in the completed Pikes Peak Greenway.
On March 29, 1907, General William Palmer gave to the City of
Colorado Springs his greatest gift, Monument Valley Park with
all its improvements and equipment. The Park encompassed 164.52
acres with 5.74 acres of lakes and 8.72 miles of graveled walks.
The Denver and Rio Grande Railroad right of way provided its Western
boundary. Its Southern boundary was from a point 400 feet south
of the Bijou viaduct and its Northern boundary to the center line
of Monroe Street, a linear distance of 10,950 feet. The population
in Colorado Springs at the time was 29,000. ...read